Awendela Grantham, IRT ’05 shares commentary on new book

Grantham, AwendelaIRT alum shares commentary on her new book—The Africana Experience:  We’ve Come This Far.

“At Virginia Commonwealth University, I developed a more efficient way to engage undergraduates in my research. I wrote an educational textbook (an interactive eBook) called—The Africana Experience: We’ve Come This Far.” 

This is the book I wanted to read as an undergraduate!

“I show the complexity of the Africana experience through different points of view and academic fields. I am annoyed by those who oversimplify what it means to be Black and stereotype Black culture (e.g. using labels for people without an understanding of their race). This research developed from my graduate work: I write about how religious and political movements influence identity formations in Black women, civic leaders, and mixed-race individuals.”

book coverPublished by Great River Learning

Dr. Awendela Grantham holds a Ph.D., M.A., and M.Phil. from Yale in French and African American Studies. She also holds a B.A. in French and International Studies from Yale. She works as a professor at Virginia Commonwealth University. She was a Mellon Mays Fellow and a 2005 Fellow at the Institute for Recruitment of Teachers. She has served as the Vice Chair of Development for the Mellon Mays Fellowship Professional Network.