Alumni Accolades – Fall 2019

2008 Cohort

Donavan Ramon, IRT ’08 recently curated, edited and introduced a special collection published by the South Atlantic Review that commemorates the 90th Anniversary of the publication of Nella Larsen’s Passing. Donavan is currently an Assistant Professor of Liberal Studies at Kentucky State University.

Donavan Ramon commentary on this special collection:

As the 90th anniversary of Nella Larsen’s Passing approached, I wanted to commemorate her work. After the South Atlantic Review agreed to publish this special journal collection, I wrote a call for papers that generated renewed interest in this timely novella. The final publication represents thirteen of the best contemporary essays written on Passing. I was very intentional in my choices for this journal—both the scholars I vetted and the order of essays—as I wanted to represent unique close readings of the text itself and nuanced ways to teach it. I introduce the collection by ruminating on the continued relevance of Passing­ – both the novel and the social phenomenon.

I am thrilled to include the essays of two scholars from my 2008 IRT cohort, Dr. Diego Millan and Dr. Tristan Striker (my roommate from that summer). Through this collection, I was able to stage not only a reappraisal of a pivotal text, but also a literary reunion for IRT 2008 with the help of Nella Larsen.

2009 Cohort

Désirée L. Barron-Callaci, IRT ’09
accepted a new position as Engagement Manager for the American Council of Learned Societies.

2016 Cohort

Ivana Castillo, IRT ’16 accepted a position as site coordinator at Boston Green Academy in Boston MA.

2017 Cohort

Lissette Lorenz IRT ’17, received a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship. Lissette is currently in a PhD program in Science and Technology at Cornell University.

2018 Cohort

Janette Barbosa and Olugbenga Joseph, both IRT ’18 shown during their orientation week at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. Congratulations to both!

Olugbenga Joseph and Janette Barbosa