Deadline to apply is Monday, July 5, 2021
The statement of purpose (SOP) is a significant component of any graduate school application. For IRT Scholars, who apply to upwards of seven graduate programs, writing and refining 7+ school-specific statements of purpose is a demanding process. Each year, the IRT provides the opportunity to a group of External (i.e. outside of the IRT office) SOP Advisors to assist current students in drafting, revising, and finalizing all of their SOPs, in addition to providing support on other written application materials such as the writing sample, resume/CV, personal history statement, diversity essay, and so on. External SOP Advisors are often IRT alumni, but also come from the Phillips Academy faculty pool and other partner organizations. External SOP Advisors work closely with IRT Scholars through the Fall SOP Advising period, which spans 8 weeks in September and October, hold weekly meetings with their advisees, review SOP drafts uploaded to Canvas on a weekly basis, and provide support for finalizing other written application materials.
IRT seeks External SOP Advisors from a variety of graduate disciplines and professional fields, but we especially welcome applications from folks with expertise in African Diaspora and African American Studies, Anthropology, Education, Philosophy, Political Science, and Psychology.
Scope of the Role
- Work with a case load of 4-5 scholars
- Meet with each scholar at least once a week for the 8-week SOP Advising period
- Weeks of September 6th through week of October 25th
- Retrieve, read, provide feedback on, and grade* weekly SOP drafts via IRT’s Canvas course
- Retrieve, read, and provide feedback on writing sample, resume/CV, and supplemental essays on Canvas at least once through 8-week SOP Advising period
- Hold weekly, 30-40 minute advising calls with each advisee
- Held via zoom, (or another teleconferencing platform,) or by phone
- Estimated workload is 5-10 hours per week
*It is a recent IRT policy to incorporate a modest grading system to keep both advisors and students accountable to the rigor of the IRT timeline; it is an expectation of this position that External SOP Advisors adhere to the general policies and practices IRT sets around Canvas use and grading.
- Must have consistent access to a cell phone, computer, and internet access
- This is a fully remote position
- Must have earned or be in the process of earning a graduate degree
How to Apply
Please send a resume/CV, three references, and a statement of interest (no more than 2-3 paragraphs) to email@example.com by Monday, July 5th.